Sunday, December 28, 2008

Day 5

I have been quite busy for the past two days, so I did not spend time blogging. Nonetheless I am still doing this experiment. Thus far I have not missed any naps, I have not overslept, and I did not add any new naps. So each day I did exactly 6 naps of no more than 30 minutes each. On day 3 started the 19:30 nap a bit later so I started it at something like 20:30. Yesterday I did something similar with the 16:30 nap. I did this because I went shopping, and I did not come back home fast enough to start the nap on time. I did not notice any adverse effect from doing that. I don't think that it will increase the length of my adaptation period because I did not get any more sleep than I should, I just got it at different times.

This morning at about 04:30 I took a walk to stay awake. After about ten minutes of walking I sort of fell asleep while walking. It is the same feeling that one gets when one falls asleep for a fraction of a second while driving. I was not expecting that that could happen to me while walking. I guess this can be dangerous, because it could be fatal if one fell asleep while crossing a street. Once I realized what had happened I started running, that effectively woke me up, and I have been able to walk for about 40-50 minutes after that without feeling sleepy. I only ran about 5-10 minutes about one minute at a time. I can normally run 10-20 minutes every other day without any problems, but I am reluctant to run that much every day, while I am in the adaptation period because I don't know how my body can cope with running and sleep deprivation at the same time.

I now dream during my naps. I don't know for how many naps I have been dreaming, but I would guess that I dreamed for most of the last ten naps.

Either the shaking/vibrating feeling in my arms and legs stopped, or I got used to it. In any case it does not bother me, so I cannot tell whether or not the feeling is there.

My fingers do get somewhat numb sometimes when I type. I think this may be due to me drinking perhaps less because I eat and drink at different. By drinking I mean drinking water, rice milk or fruit juice. I don't drink coffee, tea, or alcohol. I used to drink pop sometimes when eating in restaurants, I have discontinued that because some pops contain caffeine, and the caffeine could interfere with my adaptation period. I even stopped drinking pops that don't contain caffeine because pops are arguably not very healthy drinks. Also I don't drink any sort of energy drinks. Anyways it is hard for me to determine if I am drinking more or less than before, but if in fact I do drink less than my blood may be thicker, and I think that this could lead to numb fingers. Anyways it started bugging me yesterday because I was using emacs a lot to type xml code, and it looked like this could degenerate into the emacs pinky. The emacs pinky is the name of an overuse injury of the little finger that occurs for some emacs users. Hopefully I will be fine today.

Some people report feeling "zombie" during the adaptation period. In my case I can do productive work most of the day. I may be a bit less efficient than normal, but even this I am not sure. Definitely in the night/morning between 00:00 and 08:00 I feel very tired, it is very hard to stay awake. Even if it is very hard to stay I have not slept between my naps (except perhaps a few seconds here and there), so I did not oversleep. It seems that there is basically to types of mood; either I am sort of normal or I am very sleepy, but I would not label either of these two moods as "zombie". I would label my mood as "zombie" if I was not really sleepy, and at the same time unable to do non-trivial mental process like reading, writing, coding, or solving mathematical problems. When I am not extremely sleepy I can do these four things, so perhaps I am adapting differently, or maybe I am just too early in the adaptation period to feel "zombie". Maybe my definition of "zombie" is wrong. Maybe "zombie" should be the label for my mood between 00:00 and 08:00.