Thursday, December 25, 2008

Day 1 nap 6

I came back home from my sister's place about 40 minutes later than the scheduled time for my nap. So I took the nap about 40 minutes later than scheduled. Hopefully this will not adversely affect the experiment. Anyways I will take the next nap at the normally scheduled time.

I felt quite tired when I got up from the nap.
E&A: 2-3 when I got up.
E&A: 6-8 now (it has been about 20-30 minutes since I am awake)

Here is my schedule:
03:30 nap 1
04:00 awake
07:30 nap 2
08:00 awake
11:30 nap 3
12:00 awake
15:30 nap 4
16:00 awake
19:30 nap 5
20:00 awake
23:30 nap 6
00:00 awake

I think that I have a pretty effective way to avoid going back to sleep when even when I feel very sleepy like when I got up after the previous nap. First my timer is on a table far from my bed so I have to get up and walk to turn the alarm off. This in itself is not sufficient to prevent me from going back to sleep because I still feel very sleepy when the timer is off. And since I don't think as clearly when I am sleepy I may decide to go back to sleep. Two weeks ago after such a nap I convinced myself that it was better to go back to sleep, so I reset the timer for another 30 minutes and made a second nap. I was pretty upset afterward when I realized what had happened. So now what I do is this. Prior to starting the nap I set three alarms on my cell phone that will ring 10, 20, and 30 minutes after my nap is over. And since these alarms are sort of complicated to turn off, it is very unlikely that I will turn them off before going back to sleep. So if I do go back to sleep I will not sleep for longer than 10 minutes which should not completely upset my schedule.

There is also the likelihood that I may not wake up when my timer will ring because the volume is not so high, and if I am really sleep deprived I may not notice the timer's beeping. So to increase the likelihood of waking up I set my alarm clock to ring 5 minutes later than the timer (i.e. after 35 minutes). The difference with the alarm is that I set it to the radio and I put the volume at the maximum. My alarm is a small one speaker alarm so it is not extremely loud, but I think it is almost impossible that I would not wake up to the alarm. Also since the alarm is set at a radio station I cannot possibly get used to the noise of the alarm because the voice/music changes constantly. Thus far I have always woke up with my timer, but two weeks ago I had the chance to try the effect of the radio alarm. What happened is that I had forgotten to turn it off after getting up. I was looking for a piece of paper in my apartment when the alarm started. I have not been that surprised/afraid very often in my life. It felt like there was an explosion in my apartment (this is a little exaggeration, but just a little exaggeration) . So I know that my alarm would be effective if I would not wake up with the timer.